Was asked to locate a couples’ buried investment recently, due to the delicate nature of the job I have to keep most of it in confidence – I have however been given permission to publish the following though. A tale of a modern pot of gold…
Let’s call him “Bob”.
Bob contacted me asking for help locating a cache of 1oz gold coins he’d buried many years ago…and now was unable to remember exactly where!
After some background checks to ensure it was all legitimate, I met up with Bob and his wife and they showed me a patch of pasture with several excavations. Looking at the scene, I could almost sense the growing panic with the turfs transitioning from neat squares to less organized lumps and becoming more scattered around the holes…
I switched on the detector, tuned it up, and started to work the pre-dug holes to ensure it wasn’t just a case of not going deep enough. As each was cleared I moved further along the line, eliminating a few false hits which turned out to be flakes of scrap. I reached the end of the last excavation and just past the far edge, got that “Dig Me!” solid tone.
Bob went in with the spade and quickly exposed a flash of red plastic – just under the grass! I’m sure everybodies voices went up a notch as it was progressively unearthed.
Now, the fundamental rule of detecting is to always check the hole, and to ensure no coins had been lost from the now damaged jar I stuck the pinpointer into the hole. It twittered away excitedly, so I scraped the soil with the pointer and exposed more plastic!
Turns out there were two containers, not just one as first thought.