Metal Detecting Lost Engagement Ring Missing in Washington DC Park Forest for 1 Year Due to Hornet Attack... Found

  • from Washington (District of Columbia, United States)

Jenny’s Amazing Looking Engagement Ring!

Jenny’s Beautiful and Unique Engagement Ring Finally Returned Home!



Jenny is now one of many people around the world who have been personally affected by the recent Twitter feed of celebrity actor, Jon Cryer. Miraculously, he was able to recover his cherished wedding ring that was lost during his day off of work from filming the TV series ‘Supergirl’ on location in Vancouver, Canada. Cryer is recognized for his well-known acting roles, including the highly successful sitcom show ‘Two and a Half Men’ that ran for 12 seasons from 2003 to 2015, as well as the ever famous 1980’s classic movie, ‘Pretty in Pink’. Because so many around the globe have chimed in to Cryer’s Twitter story and are finding their lost treasures (thanks to the help of THE RING FINDERS), this amazing outcome has now been officially titled, “The Jon Cryer Effect”!

Coincidentally, as I was wrapping up a successful search in Alexandria, Virginia (which came together due to Cryer’s recent tweet), I received a call from a young lady named Jenny who was yet another Twitter follower of the famous actor Jon Cryer who shared on Twitter how THE RING FINDER’S CEO, Chris Turner, found his wedding band! She, like many others, thought that maybe she could reach out to a member of the elite metal detecting directory in Washington DC and hoped that perhaps maybe I could find her lost engagement ring that had been missing for just over a year! As I was packing up my gear, I listened to Jenny’s voicemail message and immediately called her back to gain more information about her particular situation.


Jenny shared with me that one year ago she was taking a walk through the woods of Glover Park, located in Washington DC near the National Cathedral, when all of a sudden she was attacked by dozens and dozens of hornets! She believed that she had stepped right into a nest whereby the angry critters viciously attacked her over and over again! She was left with over 25 hornets stings all over her body. She tried to get away from the attackers by running down a hill and into a clearing where she constantly swatted and batted them with her hands as she desperately attempted to fight them off! In the process of defending herself from those demonic insects, Jenny’s eyeglasses fell to the ground where she eventually stepped on them, causing the lenses to break into pieces. At that point she could barely see clearly, causing her to be quite disoriented. Unfortunately, the worst was yet to come! In the thick of the battle, while fighting off those flying beasts, the tortured woman felt her very heavy yellow gold, 1.75 carat diamond engagement ring fly off her finger! Though she was completely overwhelmed by what she was facing with her attackers, she somehow tried to search around for her missing keepsake. However, because she was hurt so very badly by so many stings, at some point she needed to leave the forest in order to receive medical attention at the nearby hospital. It was a terrible dilemma because she knew that she needed to get help for her hornet stings and yet she didn’t want to leave her most precious jewel somewhere out there in the woods where someone walking by may have the chance to spot the ring and walk off with it.

Once Jenny got help for herself and she was able to return back to the location where she lost her ring, she and her husband searched the woods the very next day but they still couldn’t find the solid gold betrothal piece anywhere. She first rented a metal detector but nothing turned up at the search site. Then, once she finally returned the rented machine, she was fortunate enough to borrow one of her children’s teacher’s metal detectors. Jenny and her family continued to make the trek back to the “scene of the crime”, hoping that something would turn up, but even those attempts ended up with empty hands. Hours of searching turned into days, and days eventually turned into weeks and months. Still, nobody could find her beautiful gold diamond engagement ring anywhere. It was as if it disappeared into thin air. They did everything possible at the time to hopefully find the missing ring. They used rakes to work through the many leaves that had fallen during that fall season of 2019, and over and over again the search team meandered through the wooded area, looking under and around the many tree limbs and logs that were scattered about the search site. Of course, there was a chance that somebody had already found the treasured item. Jenny and family realized that if the jewel landed somewhere along the path that was perpendicular to the trail that went down the hill where Jenny was attacked by the hornets, it was quite possible that at some point during the next few days following her horrible incident, somebody could have picked it up before the autumn leaves covered over the priceless ring. Even with their worst fears, Jenny and her husband reported the missing ring to the park ranger, hoping that if someone picked up the ring, it would be turned in and eventually reclaimed. She estimated that over the next year, 100 plus hours had been invested in all of her search efforts which included over 30 hours of metal detecting, and plenty of assistance from her husband, children and friends! Again, nothing ever turned up.


Jenny was absolutely devastated by the loss of something so special as this. However, she was a determined woman who never gave up hope that perhaps the ring was still out there somewhere, buried under downed trees or lost in the high grass and bramble. Finally, a beacon of hope was spotted on Jenny’s smartphone as she read actor Jon Cryer’s Twitter feed about the successful recovery of his own beloved wedding band! She went online to THE RING FINDER’S website and reviewed my profile listed under the Washington DC metropolitan area. Little did Jenny know that I had just discovered two other lost rings that had gone missing for 3 years and 1 year for people just like her who also read Jon Cryer’s Twitter feed and contacted me in the days that followed, asking if I could help them find their rings! I couldn’t wait to set up a time for me to travel out to the Washington DC forest to make a search attempt to recover Jenny’s lost gold diamond engagement ring!

While Jenny and I were talking on the phone, I asked her question after question regarding everything that transpired leading up to the ring flying off of her finger out in the forest. From what she described, I felt very confident that there was a strong possibility that nobody spotted the ring with the amount of “distracting nature” that surrounded that particular area. She mentioned that there was quite a bit of bramble and fallen trees that had rested in the location where she was once under attack by those vicious hornets. Also, she said that she lost the ring in October 2019 during the same autumn season exactly one year ago. That information gave me hope that the ring could still be out there because it could have easily been camouflaged by the golden colors of the leaves that had fallen from the trees above, causing her engagement ring to blend in perfectly with its surroundings.

Yes, there was plenty of metal detecting at the site, but in my mind, it didn’t mean that the gold ring hadn’t been missed. In my many experiences with other people using detectors that are made of cheap quality electronics and having lack of experience, those search attempts generally end up being futile, giving up no positive results. I remember telling Jenny on the phone how excited I was to hear that there was plenty of thorn bushes and overgrown weeds and trees that had fallen down all around that area. She couldn’t figure out why I was so encouraged by her description of that forsaken territory where her nightmare took place! I reiterated my positive thoughts about her description of the site by explaining that it gave more opportunities for the ring to hide as opposed to having only one or two scenarios as to where the jewel could have ended up (such as it being left on the path for somebody to pick up). Though Jenny was still in a mode of doubting the possibility that I may be the one to recover her lost keepsake, she was nonetheless enthusiastic for giving me a shot at finding her precious ring that she had missed so much.

I finished our second conversation that same night by encouraging Jenny with several search and recovery stories that had to do with me finding people’s rings that had gone missing for years. Jewelry that had been out there for the longest time, buried in the ground or hidden in a vehicle or house, just waiting to be found by me! Before we got off the phone, we tentatively set up a time to meet in three days on a Saturday afternoon. I told her I couldn’t wait to get out there into the woods and help her find the  lost engagement ring that she cherished so very much! Jenny didn’t know what to say to that declaration because so many hours had already gone into the search and every time she gave it her all, she came up with nothing. I told her if that ring was never picked up and it was still out there somewhere, I told her that I would indeed find it for her…guaranteed!

For the next three days, I couldn’t wait to meet up with Jenny in order for her to take me into the woods and show me where all of the drama took place a year ago this October. I pictured the ring buried somewhere out there, just waiting for me to come and return it to the finger that it still belonged to! She and her two dogs met me at one of the entrances to Glover Park located in Washington DC not too far from the National Cathedral. Jenny, who is very familiar with the paths and trails throughout the park (it was routine for her to walk her retrievers in that area quite frequently), led the way into the woods and down into the forest where she lost her ring on that one dreadful afternoon. As we walked to the spot, she gave me more details about that particular day and just how much effort she had invested in trying to find her beloved engagement ring.

After a good 5 or 10 minutes of walking over rocks, downed trees and across muddy spots, we eventually got to the top of a hill where Jenny was steps away from being attacked by those ruthless hornets. Her dogs led the way as she guided me down the slope, eventually stopping at the bottom where it started to level out. Another path could be seen to the left and right of us and I immediately wondered how busy this particular trail had been traveled. Jenny stood close to the intersection of the two paths and recounted what happened next. She showed me how she was swatting the insects profusely, trying with all of her might to get them off of her. She demonstrated for me just how she was standing and brought attention to the angle of how she was positioned when she tried to fight off her attackers. Jenny believed her left arm went forward and that the ring most likely went into the woods in front of her, towards some very large trees that had fallen many years prior. There was a gigantic tree trunk with its roots still intact, along with all kinds of huge branches, tree limbs, high grass, weeds and plenty of bramble growing wild everywhere. Just as she described to me on the phone days before, there was plenty of obstacles and area to search! The ring could have still been hiding just about anywhere! She actually ended up apologizing to me for such a complicated search site to have to investigate! I told her, “Please, there is no need to apologize because I am more encouraged about having this kind of environment as opposed to being in a public area where anyone could have easily spotted the ring on the day that it flew off your finger!”

Next, I asked Jenny to give me an account of all of the spots where her crew had metal detected so that I could have an idea of what pieces of real estate were already covered in the past year. She pointed out those locations, but I noticed that she didn’t mention the property behind where she was standing. I pointed to the hillside where we came down and over to the right another 30 to 75 feet, and asked her if anyone searched behind the section that she thought the ring had flown towards. Her response was that they had barely looked in those areas because she had believed that the ring had flown forward into where the trees and bramble rested based on how her arm moved forward during the brutal attack. I took close attention to those facts.

Once we covered all of the details regarding where she felt the ring flew and all the places that she, her family and friends searched over the past year, I was ready to return back to my car to gather up my gear and return to the search site to begin my recovery project. Jenny was kind enough to orient me to a closer entrance point which would help me pull my equipment wagon down into the woods where my travels to the site would be much faster than where we originally entered. She took some of my orange grid cones and placed them in key positions where I would be able to find my way out of the woods and back to my car once I finished the first leg of my search that day. We didn’t know how many trips it would take for me to wrap up the project because there was so much territory to cover. However, it was clear that I needed to have a way of identifying markers in order for me to make my way out of the park and back to my vehicle.

Jenny guided me back to the search site, showing me a little stream with lots of rocks and mud that I would need to cross over, and then eventually she pointed me to the largest landmark at the “scene of the crime” – that huge tree that was lying on its side just in front of where Jenny fought for her life last October.

Before she took off to walk the dogs deeper into the forest, I warned Jenny that upon her return to this location, she may end up observing me searching for the engagement ring in an area that most people would consider to be an illogical place to metal detect when searching for a jewel that went flying in an entirely different zone. She appreciated my words but assured me that she was putting what hope she had left into my care, wishful that I would use my expertise and experience to pull her ring from the park!

As she headed off with the dogs, I started setting up my gear for what I anticipated to be a very long and possibly difficult search project. Like I mentioned above, there was no way of telling whether or not the ring had already been picked up by somebody or not. All that I could do was to give it my all and hope for the best. Before I began setting grid cones up in a certain area on the hill side where she had originally ran down just after being attacked by the hornets, I prayed to the Lord and asked my beloved Creator to help me and guide me in the search efforts. I asked my Heavenly Father to give me wisdom and guidance in finding the hiding place where the ring had ended up, believing that it was still somewhere out there. Then, I put my metal detecting harness over my jacket, placed the headphones over my ears and finally started grid searching inside of the area where I placed the cones up and around a portion of the hill.

Generally, when one is metal detecting an area way out in the woods, there is very little metal that you will encounter in the ground. This scenario was no different. However, there were a few targets that I dug up because the metal detector was picking up a few shallow targets that were just below the ground. I knew that if the ring was still there on that property, it would be just slightly below the dirt and leaves with just a little bit of the halo showing up above the ground. It turned out that there was absolutely no ring to be discovered in the first section that I marked off with my orange cones.

By the time I finished grid searching that first area, Jenny had returned with her precious retrievers just to check on how things were going and to let me know that she was heading back to her place. I quickly showed her what I completed at that point and pointed to the area that was going to be surrounded by cones for my next grid search. Eventually Jenny left and I remained there at the site, continuing my efforts to reclaim my client’s lost beloved ring. Though there was so much pain, drama and sadness that took place in this region of the park, I still couldn’t help myself appreciate the surroundings which were absolutely beautiful that autumn day.

I would continue to work on the hillside, adjacent to where I had just finished the first section. Moving to the other side of the trail where she quickly ran down the slope as she was being attacked by the hornets, my aim was to hit that spot next. I set the cones up around that that territory and was then ready to begin that second phase of the search. For some unexplainable reason (which I now believe was true divine guidance by the Spirit of the Lord in answer to my earlier prayer), I began to just randomly metal detect the area that Jenny had pointed out where she and the others predominantly searched over the past year. I wasn’t thinking that I would necessarily find the ring, but I was just curious as to what I would discover and get an idea of how much metal was in the ground in the environment where all of the downed trees, high grass and bramble predominantly congregated around. I casually swung the detector in that particular zone and then slowly moved my way around and back towards the path that crossed the trail that goes up the hill. There was no ring to be found in any of those spots that I casually swung the coil over. One habit that I seem to typically implement while I am detecting an area is to keep swinging my detector over real estate until I get to the section that I intend to grid search next, just in case I come across something of interest along the way. This moment was no different. I crossed the path that divided the main section of where she had been searching for the past year over to the hillside section that would have been where her back was facing during the hornet attack. I didn’t get more than 6 feet off the path, moving up the slight incline (probably 8 to 10 feet over to my right which would take me towards the coned off area that I was about to grid) when I hit a pretty significant target signal that appeared to be buried just below the surface. Because the ground was covered with the most beautiful colors from the autumn season, I wasn’t able to observe whether or not this target was partially resting above the ground. However, I was about to find out! The VDI number (visual discrimination indicator) that appeared on my detector screen came up as a solid 18. First of all, that number is not a common number that comes up on my detector. Usually I find items made of lead that come into that range of 17 or 18. Therefore, this solid 18 number got me really curious. A typical lady’s yellow gold engagement ring would never register such a high number. In fact, I was only told that the target that I was looking for was a yellow gold solitaire diamond ring with the stone set into the band. I didn’t think much about the weight because usually lady’s rings aren’t designed with a bulk of extra gold. Most of the time I find that a lady’s yellow gold ring will fall into the VDI number range between 8 and13.

With this current target that I was about to investigate, I honestly was not thinking that I had found Jenny’s ring by any means. However, I am always hopeful in every situation because I have seen so many miracle stories take place with many of my searches. With this target signal, I was not going to discount that same possibility, as well. I got down on my knees to the ground and pulled out my handheld metal detector which helps to pinpoint the exact location of where the other metal detector had discovered the target. I waved it over the ground in the spot where the detector picked up the curious object and almost immediately I located the exact spot where the item was buried. Slowly, I used my left hand to start removing some of the surface dirt to see if I could make out exactly what the target was before having to use my digger to go farther down if necessary. Instantly my eyes caught the most beautiful image of something gold in color that was resting just below some brittle leaves and topsoil and on that hillside. I could not believe what I was looking at! Only a part of the object was protruding through the ground, but I knew very well that what I was going to pull from the earth in a moment’s time just had to be Jenny’s missing diamond engagement ring! There was no way that another piece of precious metal would have been lost in the same vicinity as the ring that I was on the hunt for! This had to be Jenny’s jewel! It was an unbelievable moment for me! I was only walking in the direction of where I was about to start my second grid search when I hit this home run! I couldn’t believe it! It was absolutely amazing! The cones were already in place for me to begin my grid lines and yet I never even made it over to that second zone! Why? Because I believe I was divinely guided by the hand to the very spot where Jenny’s beloved keepsake had landed and remained hidden for over a year! The ring was discovered 27 feet from where Jenny remembered feeling her priceless gem slipping off her finger! The keepsake flew from across Jenny’s left side, over her head and moved airborne in the direction behind her to the right on a 45 degree angle (4 o’clock position), slightly up the hill!

Once I Removed Some Top Soil and Leaves, This is What My Eyes Encountered!

I was now looking at a huge piece of gold exposed in front of my eyes! The rest of the ring was perhaps buried maybe a half-inch in the ground! Jenny had mentioned twice to me that she had searched for over 100 hours and even came back to the search site after the two of us talked on the phone the other day! So much time was invested in trying to find her precious ring, and yet nothing became of all of her efforts…until now! Her best decision was to contact THE RING FINDERS! The ring that she had attempted to recover in an entire year of searching, I was able to successfully find in 20 minutes! Though I would have eventually grid searched the spot where I stumbled upon that most priceless piece of artwork, the fact that I found the treasure so quickly and incidentally was beyond a surreal moment for me!

The moment was too amazing to believe that it was really happening! Yet, it really was a reality! I really did find Jenny’s beautiful solid gold diamond engagement ring! I was so excited that I actually fell to the ground and laid there on my back like a little kid with my feet and hands up towards the top of the trees! I couldn’t contain myself! I just took in the moment, thanking God over and over again and saying out loud, “I can’t believe that this is really happening that I actually found the diamond engagement ring and how quickly I discovered it!” When you know that somebody has been searching for something for over a year with metal detectors and with numerous people added to the hunt, you can anticipate searches like this to be a bit more complicated than some of the more simple scenarios that we ring finders have had to tackle. I loved the challenge of this particular case, but I had no idea that I would end up finding Jenny’s ring this quick and so easily!

I didn’t even pull the ring out of the ground before I walked 40 feet back to my equipment wagon, pulled out a white rag, placed onto the ground in front of me and worshipped the Lord down on my knees! Jenny would finally get this priceless and most sentimental piece of jewelry back on her finger soon enough! I knew that this was one more miracle story to be added to all of my others that I had experienced over the past couple of years! I wanted to give God the glory and thank Him before I held that ring in my hands for the first time!

The Engagement Ring Flew 27 Feet Behind Jenny During Her Horrible Hornet Attack!

As I was still on my knees, a gentleman who was walking his dog on the trail just feet from where I had found the ring, stopped and inquired about what was going on and what I was doing. His name was Lindsay. I explained to him that I was worshiping the Lord because I found something very special that belonged to someone and I couldn’t believe that I had found it so quickly! I explained that it was a ring that had gone missing for over a year! He was quite intrigued and asked if he could see the treasure that I pulled from the earth. I was more than thrilled to share my excitement with him! It was at that moment that I returned to the diamond ring that was still waiting for me to raise her up from the ground! Slowly and carefully I separated the piece of gold from the earth, exposing the most humongous diamond that was embedded into the actual band of the gold ring! It was simply exquisite! There were two accent lines of white gold that were wrapped around each of the sides of the ring and the artwork on this beautiful object was simply stunning! The weight of this jewel was extremely heavy for a lady’s ring, very non-characteristic of a lady’s engagement ring! It was a very special ring that was obviously custom-made in every which way. I would later find out that the ring was designed based on the need to have a diamond that would not rub or bump into things while the owner physically worked out and while regularly teaching yoga classes.

Lindsay was so taken back by the whole story of what I had searched for and so quickly discovered, that he asked if he could bring his entire family over to the site so that they too could witness the cool event!  I welcomed their visit and I told him that in the meantime I would be continuing my time of worship onto the Lord and then begin taking pictures of this incredible moment! He left and I returned to my white towel that was still laid out on top of the leaves near my wagon and I just continued to thank God for everything! The gratitude in my heart was overwhelming! I thought that I would most likely have to come back for consecutive visits to complete the search and hopefully find the ring in that process of time. I never thought in a million years that I would end up finding the engagement ring in such a short period of time! Once I finished my moment with God, I returned back to where the ring was found and documented the entire event with my still camera and video equipment.

By the time I wrapped up my photo session, my new friend’s family arrived at the search site and I got to share with them the whole search story from beginning to end! They were the nicest people! I could see it in the kids’ eyes just how intrigued they were to witness something as fantastic as this with me finding buried treasure out there in the middle of the forest! When you see something made of solid gold with a huge diamond set inside the precious metal, just lying on the ground where it should have never been lost, it’s pretty powerful to experience such a moment! This is what makes ring finders and metal detectorists like me so energized and beyond thrilled when we find someone else’s lost property in places such as this!

At some point, before the family headed off, they thanked me for sharing this special celebration with all of them. We said our goodbyes and though I took enough photos and video earlier, I decided to document a few more moments before it started getting darker outside.

Eventually, I began packing my things up. While I was still in the forest, there wasn’t a moment that I wasn’t still floating on cloud nine! I constantly thanked God and felt so grateful that I discovered the ring where I had found it and just how fast it was recovered! As I was collecting all of the cones that I had set up in that second zone where I had intended to start grid searching, I thought to myself just how innocent I was, metal detecting randomly in that first area where Jenny said that they had been looking for so very long. I recounted how I crossed over the trail and began making my way back towards the cones and how I just happened to stumble over the ring as I made my way to start the second zone! I could have just begun the grid search on that other part of the hill, but it never had to take place! Yes, as I shared before, I would have eventually found the ring because the area where it ended up was at some point going to be the third section that I planned to hunt. But, boy did I save a lot of time and energy! Oh yes! I could not have been more surprised!

Once I packed everything up in my blue wagon, I said goodbye to this very special search site that was a witness to Jenny’s attack and the loss of her precious ring during the October before this one. But now it became a beautiful place now that the earth gave up something that only belonged to Jenny and nobody else! I was so proud to be a part of such a search and recovery project and to be the one to eventually return the most beautiful and sentimental keepsake to its rightful owner. Returned to one who had been yearning for a reunion with this sentimental keepsake for so very long! Finally, this huge piece of gold with its amazingly large diamond was leaving the forest since October 2019!

It was a moment that I will never forget, the evening that I surprised Jenny and one of her children (who happened to be home at the time of the ring reveal)! She was absolutely stunned! So much so that she admittedly shared with me that she thought that the ring that I had surprised her with couldn’t possibly be hers! Why? Because I was able to find the keepsake so very quickly as opposed to all of the search attempts that she had made that added up to well over 100 hours and each one miserably failed! She thought, ‘How could this be?’ But she then eventually came around to realizing that there was no way that I could have produced a copy of such an incredible engagement ring because I had never seen a picture of what it looked like in the first place! Jenny was completely in a daze when I handed her that ring! The realization that it was finally back in her possession after all this time was something that she couldn’t fully describe with words! The same jewel that was placed upon Jenny’s finger by her beloved groom on the day of their marriage, was now back on that same ring finger, never to get away from this bride ever again for the rest of her life! During that reunion moment, you could easily see what was going on inside of that stunned young lady! Emotions of pure happiness were dancing within every chamber of her heart! Part two of Jenny’s horrible nightmare that took place one year ago this month had finally come to an end…her lost engagement ring had finally come home to her!

If you would like to view the SEARCH VIDEO and the fantastic RING REVEAL pertaining to this search, please subscribe to my YouTube channel and you will be notified when the search video is uploaded onto YouTube.


If you would like to watch the SEARCH VIDEO and the RING REVEAL pertaining to this story, the video will be uploaded soon. To receive a NOTIFICATION letting you know when the video is uploaded to YOUTUBE: go to YOUTUBE by CLICKING THE LINK BELOW or OPEN your YOUTUBE APP on your device. In the SEARCH BAR, type: THE RING RETURNER, click SUBSCRIBE and lastly, CLICK ON THE “BELL” to receive NOTIFICATIONS when this latest search video is available to view! 











Comments Off on Metal Detecting Lost Engagement Ring Missing in Washington DC Park Forest for 1 Year Due to Hornet Attack… Found