Lost Ring, 3.5 m Deep In The 'Dawesville Cut', Mandurah, Found In 10 Mins!

  • from Perth (Australia)

Hi again! About 1 pm on Wednesday the 1st of March, I received a message from Nadia to say her father had dropped her late grandfathers wedding ring in the middle of the ‘Dawesville Cut’ the prior evening. A diver was currently in the ocean searching for it, but if he was unsuccessful could I please come and search for it with my metal detector?

After researching what the tide and wind were doing at the time, and bearing in mind the very strong currents which run through ‘The Cut’, (not to mention a fair amount of boat traffic), I determined that 2 pm the following day might be the best time to attempt to recover the ring.

After arriving at the marina the following afternoon I loaded my equipment onto the boat and we left the marina to find the GPS location marked at the time the ring had been lost.

My ‘TrickyMap’ of the location.

I dropped the anchor a little bit up the current from the mark on the sounder, waited for the ‘pick’ to grab and let out more and more anchor line until the GPS showed we were nearly on the spot and facing roughly the same way the boat was on the previous night. By rights this meant the ring should now be somewhere behind the boat.

Not knowing what to do at the time, Robert had stayed ‘on the anchor’ overnight. In the morning Nadia had called and suggested he ‘lose’ something else overboard that would be easy to find by a diver and would mark the general location to search for said ring.

I dived down in 3.5 m of water for a quick recon of the sand and weed bottom trying to sight some yellow handled pliers and a hammer which would indicate the approximate location where the ring must be. Despite the great visibility I could not find them so after about 5 mins in the water I decided to surface and re-position the boat.

At this point I swam another anchor (temporarily tied to a fender float) out on an angle from the starboard stern of the boat. I suspected the boat had been laying with the stern to the ENE at the time of loss due to a SW breeze over a decreasing NW incoming current through ‘The Cut’. Once I had tightened the second anchor line Robert agreed that the boat was now laying pretty much as it had been the previous night.

After ‘suiting up’ I dived down along the anchor rope to again search for the tools and found them literally 2 meters back from the anchor chain and about a meter to my right! Seriously, I very nearly dropped that anchor right on top of them! I placed my own marker on the sea floor, retrieved the tools and returned to the boat with them. I really wish I had been using my go pro camera as Roberts face was a real picture as I handed him the tools no more than two minutes after re-entering the water! He just could not believe (and nor could I) how easy this part of the search had been.

I dived again, this time with my metal detector and started an imaginary ‘jackstay’ style search back and forth to the right of the anchor line in order to search the area in which I had found the tools.

Seen one of these before Robert?

I started my search about half way along the rope, turned at the anchor chain, and as I passed over where the tools had been (Thank you Nadia!) and just BEFORE I swept my detectors coil over it, there in the white sand was the unmistakable glowing golden rim of what could only be a gold ring!

Russian Gold!

Elated I returned to the surface where Robert was simply astonished that after having a dive master from a local dive store search for the tools for over an hour without success, I’d returned in just a few minutes with what he truly

One very happy wife!

believed he’d lost forever, his late father in-laws wedding ring.

Earlier when I was ‘suiting up’, Robert had mentioned that if I could find the ring he would gladly call the local press which he now did to tell them the wonderful story. (The reporter made it an exclusive story in the next issue of the ‘Mandurah Coastal Times’)

As we’d not long left the marina and I still had a full tank of air, Robert suggested that to celebrate, a couple of fresh crayfish for dinner might now be in order!! I agreed of course so we weighed anchor and headed out to a reef on the ocean side of ‘The Cut’ where I did indeed find a couple of fine crayfish. Yum, yum and a bottle of rum!… what a way to end an awesome day for us all!!